My Description and Opinion
Real estate business is a rich man's or woman's business now. With the average salary in my area of around $200 a month it will take almost 6 years to accumulate that salary to be able to buy a cheap land which is $14500 and in reality will take even more years as the previous calculation do not include the expenses. Building a home will cost at least another same amount, it can be much more, so how many years for anyone starting from zero to afford a house? Just excluding the expenses, it will take at fastest 12 years. This is the unfortunate fate of average people who are not exposed to banking services. Those who are fortunate can apply for credits or loans where they can immediately own a house but must cut their salary every month. Businessman and entrepreneur knows how to utilize the system. They can borrow money to buy a land or property but do business with them. For example, the trend in my area is building a motel, guess house, or any kind of renting services where the profit can be much more than the amount of interest they need to pay each month.
The old timers said that this was not the case in the past. Just work hard and eventually anyone can afford a property. I do not know why, maybe because of inflation or people doing property business where they keep on buying and selling repeatedly, the price skyrocketed. Maybe because the minority finally got their hands on most of the properties which can be almost a monopoly so they can just set the price high. In the end, we Millenials and GenerationZ have no almost no hope in finding properties with decent price so might as well bury the idea of business in real estate. Well, we can still dream by playing Monopoly video games such as "Get Rich" but being rich there is only being rich there. However Upland plans to bring the real economy into the game that if we profit we will really become rich not only inside the game but in real life as well because they plan to have the in-game currency and other assets to be tradeable to real world physical asset.
While I did skim through their website, social medias, and whitepaper, what I will be writing here will only be purely based on my experience in trying Upland mixed with my opinion. Simply I saw Upland as an Earth Metaverse which is a virtual reality based on the real earth where we can do real estate business in this digital universe. Here, we can experience digitally of being a real estate entrepreneur where we buy virtual real estate for a profit and become virtual land owners. Thanks to cryptocurrencies, digital value can be converted into physical value and other than that, the team also plans to connect fiat payment directly.
Still, if the developers quit, wouldn't Upland just vanishes? Upland is a decentralized application (dapp) currently on the EOS blockchain. If the developers quit, others can easily take their place and run the dapp. What about our assets? They are all recorded on the EOS blockchain and far in the future they may integrate with other blockchains. We can find the whitepaper, social media, and blog on their website but I was curious about the token which I cannot search on EOS block explorer. Eventually, I found https://dappradar.com/eos/games/upland and found the two smartcontracts:
Now, how do I see the profit of Upland? Ofcourse there are many strategies including the default real estate strategy about finding undervalued potential famous places, but my opinion is closer to web domain investing. I think that people in the real world will one day want to own a counterpart of their properties in Upland. The first properties I'd hunt are real life property owners who are pro cryptos. They have higher probability of finding Upland and will want to own the same properties in Upland as the ones in real life. I forsee in the future that Upland properties can serve as a marketing to real life properties. For example, purchasing a physical property will get a bonus of the counterpart property in Upland or an even more crazy example that Upland purchases can represent real life physical purchases.
How to Start
You do not need to know about complicated technical knowledge. You do not need to learn about decentralized finance (DeFi) to start eventhough it is best to be integrated in the future. To start, you only need to:
- Visit Upland: https://r.upland.me/NAts.
- Register your email address.
- Check your email for reply and login.
My video above only took 2 minutes:
- 00:00 Upland website
- 00:10 Upland registration
- 00:27 Email notification
- 00:50 Getting Started
- 01:35 For now only San Francisco and Fresno
- 01:40 Chose Fresno
Mobile Complete Tutorial
In contrast to the desktop short getting started guide, if you access the dapp using a mobile device, you will get a much more detailed tutorial complete with animation. If you want to see this tutorial on desktop or again on mobile go to menu > settings > tutorial. Yeah, some of us are too lazy to try Upland or watch my video, so I rewrote the tutorial text for you people here:
- 00:00 Upland Tutorial
- A Virtual Property Trading Game That's Smashing The Boundary Between The Real and Virtual World.
- We've turned Earth into a global game board, and are inviting you to join the ownership revolution, where you no longer just play for fun, you play to own.
- 00:28 Your block explorer.
- Once you sign up to Upland, you will choose your block explorer.
- You can always change your block explorer's appearance later.
- Your block explorer serves as your game piece in Upland.
- Use your explorer to discover and buy new properties.
- Your explorer will roam Upland on its own.
- But there are different ways for you to alter its location.
- Like sending it to your own properties.
- 01:08 Buying your first property.
- Once you've chosen your explorer.
- Collect your UPX signup bonus to get started with Upland.
- Your explorer will have already discovered a few properties.
- Click on the Parcel to see the property's detail.
- Click the buy button to acquire the property.
- Check out your property title.
- Where you can verify your ownership on the blockchain.
- 01:53 Your UPX earnings
- Now that you own a property in Upland,
- Click the UPX award icon and then tap each pile of UPX
- But you can also boost your UPX earnings
- By placing your property in collections!
- 02:35 Completing Collections
- Click on the collections button on the bottom menu.
- Let's start with the newbie collection!
- Click the edit collection button
- and then click the property to place it in the collection
- When you complete collections, you win a one time install reward
- And as long as your properties are kept in the collection
- You will enjoy a boost on their UPX earnings!
- 03:15 Your Upland VISA
- As a visitor to Upland, you are on a journey to become an Uplander
- Until you become an Uplander, make sure to stamp your VISA
- Once you reach a net worth of 10000 UPX
- You will officially become an Uplander with full rights
- and enjoy true ownership of your assets in Upland forever!
- Once Uplander, you are free to trade your assets
- with other Uplanders in the marketplace!
- Buy sell or trade your properties
- and enjoy true ownership of your assets!
- 04:32 Login to my account
- 05:00 Exploring Upland on Mobile
What New Players Today May Confuse About
In the guide from the website we can find what the color means on different tiles. While it is true that everything is written on the tutorial, maybe my understanding is bad that only permanent Uplanders with more than 10000 UPX net worth can buy the dark green tiles. New visitors can only buy the light green tiles. With the quote that "early birds gets the worms" applies here, today there are almost no light green tiles left. I do find very few light green tiles, but all of the are prices above 10000 UPX which is the same that we should just aim to become an Uplander straight away (note that we are initially visitors and if we forget to renew our VISA every few days, the assets we bought can be reset). As for me, I cannot proceed with anything after registering even with the signup bonus, so I purchase enough UPX with Bitcoin to upgrade my status to permanent Uplander.
- After my UPX net worth became over 10000, I became a permanent Uplander and was given an EOS account after binding my phone number.
- Finally, I was able to buy my first property in Upland and the certificate is the transaction ID on the EOS blockchain a2aefb6674b60f95e1dac73ab3ab56c37f5235652d180c0c5c11d71c61854865.