Coinbase’s professional exchange Coinbase Pro began passing transaction fees onto its users on September 17, as announced via Twitter.
- Coinbase first announced that it would be imposing transactions fees in an email sent to users earlier in September
- The fees will only be imposed on external transfers
- Community members have expressed disappointment at the fact that withdrawal is no longer free, with many considering migrating to a different platform
- Ethereum’s gas fees have been very high following the DeFi market boom and launch of such assets as Uniswap (UNI)
- Ethereum gas fees hit an all-time high of $8.7 USD in early September, prompting discussions about scalability
- Uniswap helps boost DEX volume up to over $11 billion