Travel is empowering, it is mind-expanding, and it provides education about the world at large. Stepping out of our own reality and embarking on a sojourn to a foreign place heightens our awareness—of ourselves, of our surroundings—and can make us a better person and citizen of Earth.
I have always found travel to be transformative and take every opportunity to leave my four walls and seek out new places. When I can’t pack a suitcase, I enjoy reminding myself of all the great reasons to travel, and these travel quotes are some of the inspiration that I draw from and wanted to share them with you.
Here are the best travel quotes with travel photos to inspire you to get out and explore!
Happy trails wherever you may go!
WHY WE TRAVEL
Not everyone travels for the same reason. Some find it exhilarating, some are challenging themselves, while others use it as an escape. There is no right or wrong reason to embark on a journey, just one that satisfies your heart and mind.
There is so much to see in the world and an equal number of reasons to see it. From 19th-century French novelist Gustave Flaubert to English philosopher and writer Aldous Huxley to modern-day adventurers like Bill Bryson, these travel quotes are a reminder of why I travel and what can be gained by a little adventure.
INSPIRATIONAL TRAVEL QUOTES
There are some who need a push, a reason, an inspiration to engage in travel. Because, let’s face it, travel is more than packing a suitcase. It requires thought, planning, money, and a whole host of other ingredients.
Some can get lost in the details without seeing the bigger picture. At times this even happens to me. I need a reminder that there is a big world out there, that there is value in taking the time to travel, which is when I dig out these inspirational travel quotes to get the juices flowing.
33. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
34. “The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
35. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
36. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Anonymous
37. “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau
38. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
39. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
LOVE AND COUPLE TRAVEL QUOTES
The majority of my travels are undertaken with Peter, who is a wonderful traveling companion. We always seem to be on the same page about destinations, activities, and like me, he is up for a challenge. Traveling with a loved one or just loving travel in and of itself is the impetus behind these love and couple travel quotes and you also get some great travel photos along the way. This first photo from this post at the Grand Canyon South Rim continues to be one of my all-time favorite photos of Peter and me.
100. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” – Confucius
101. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.” – Jalaluddin Rumi
102. “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” – George A. Moore
103. “Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” – Ernest Hemingway
104. “In life, it’s not where you go, it’s who you travel with.” – Charles Schulz
105. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman
106. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart!” – Confucius
107. “Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go, this is my station.’” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran”
108. “Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” – The Dhammapada
FUNNY QUOTES ABOUT TRAVEL
One thing you must pack when traveling is a sense of humor. It is invaluable in the face of adversity, makes a mockery of any crisis, and takes the sting out of what could be a painful experience. These funny travel quotes are perfect expressions of the lighter side of travel and a reminder not to take everything on the road so seriously.
109. “No place is ever as bad as they tell you it’s going to be.” – Chuck Thompson
110. “If an ass goes travelling, he’ll not come home a horse.” – Thomas Fuller
111. “The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist.” – Russell Baker
112. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
113. “Two great talkers will not travel far together.” –Spanish Proverb
114. “Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.” – Charles Kuralt
115. “Hey, people who travel with their bed pillow. You look insane.” – Jim Gaffigan
116. “Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save gas, take your next trip in kilometers.” – George Carlin
117. “Travel becomes a strategy for accumulating photographs.” – Susan Sontag
118. “A good holiday is one that is spent among people whose notions of time are vaguer than yours.” – J.B. Priestley
119. “[Airline food] is the tiniest food I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Any kind of meat that you get — chicken, steak, anything — has grill marks on each side, like somehow we’ll actually believe there’s an open-flame grill in the front of the plane.” – Ellen de Generes
120. “Boy, those French. They have a different word for everything.” – Steve Martin
121. “People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes