Since I have recently updated both the banner and the logo for this blog (and have some admittedly rather basic graphic design skills), I thought I'd try my hand at creating NFTs ("those blockchain JPGs", as somebody termed them). It turns out that the process is super easy, once you know how:
- Create the image or audio you wish to turn into an NFT. It can be really basic or as detailed and sophisticated as you like.
- Save it as a JPG, PNG or MP3 file.
- Sign in to your MetaMask wallet. Make sure it is using the Ethereum blockchain/network.
- Head over to Rarible or OpenSea and sign in with MetaMask.
- Click on the "Create" button in the top right.
- Choose the "free minting" option (make sure the slide toggle is activated)
- Upload your file and fill in the relevant details.
- Sign the transactions with MM as they happen.
- When the dialog pops up, copy the generated link and share it.
- Tada! Your NFT is now available for purchase from the store and it has cost you 0.0 ETH. The first person to buy it will pay the gas fees!
Caveat: Both OpenSea and Rarible will take 25% of whatever you make as fees for writing your NFT to the blockchain. Be sure to factor that in to the asking price.
For those who want it, I've made my blog's logo available as an NFT, for the princely sum of 0.002 ETH (~$5.00 USD). I might do the same with the banner as well if there's interest. I did it more as a fun experiment to test the process than as anything from which I expect to make crypto/money. However, I'd appreciate if you'd show support by purchasing it and providing me with yet another way to make passive income.
That is all for now. Snark out!