Magnesium is the chemical element of the periodic table of the elements which has as symbol Mg and as atomic number 12. Magnesium is the eighth most abundant element and constitutes about 2% of the earth's crust; it is also the third for abundance among the elements dissolved in sea water. In nature, due to its high reactivity, it does not exist in the free state, but is found combined with other elements. This alkaline earth metal is mainly used as a binding agent in the production of aluminum-magnesium alloys.
Magnesium is a light metal, silver-white in color and quite hard, which takes on an opaque appearance, due to surface oxidation, when exposed to air. The powder of this metal heats up and burns with a white flame in contact with air. It is difficult to ignite when stored in the form of large elements, but it easily ignites if arranged in thin strips or filaments (used for photographic flash lamps).
- Combined alloy, especially with aluminum, it is essential for structural components in the missile, aviation, automotive and machinery industries.
- As an additive in conventional propellants and for the production of nodular graphite in the production of cast iron.
- As a desulfurizer: to help remove sulfur from iron and steel.
- As a reducing agent for the production of pure uranium and other metals, starting from their salts.
- Magnesium hydroxide is used in milk of magnesia, magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate in Epsom salts, and magnesium citrate is used in medicine.
- Oxidized magnesite is used as a refractory lining in furnaces.
- In the form of dust or very small fragments it ignites easily and combustion takes place at a temperature of 2200 ° C and with strong light production, for this reason it is used in signaling flares, in old concept photographic flashes (now replaced by electronic flashes ), in fireworks and incendiary bombs.
- Magnesium carbonate (MgCO3) powder is used by athletes, or sportsmen, such as gymnasts or weightlifters, to improve grip on equipment.
- A metal magnesium bar is used as a sacrificial anode for cathodic protection in domestic heating systems.
Also this time we want to experience something new and above all with this giveaway we want to reward the most loyal and the fastest. The supply of the item is limited (only 99 piece) and 40% of it will be given away in this giveaway.
40 people will be awarded:
- the first 20 users who comment on the article with their wax address and on November 5th at 14:00 CEST will have at least 8 NFTs of different elements of this collection in their portfolio, will receive a Magnesium NFT as a gift;
- the others (up to 40) will be given the opportunity to buy NFTs at a very low price: 3 WAX
A little reminder that the laboratory is working to form the first NFT molecule. More information in this article.
The Periodic Table NFT project
The Periodic Table NFT project aims to raise awareness of chemical elements in a modern key, basing the approach on blockchain and Non Fungible Token.
Day after day it will be possible to know the single elements that make up the table, to collect curiosities about each of them and about the table in general.
We are working to be able to learn, in a playful way, also what happens by combining the various elements.
The whole project is based on the collection of NFTs that can be bought on the site https://wax.atomichub.io/market?collection_name=periodicelem&order=desc&sort=created&symbol=WAX or by participating in simple giveaways published on publish0x.
- #1 Hydrogen (max supply 200)
- #2 Helium (max supply 200)
- #3 Lithium (max supply 200)
- #4 Beryllium (max supply 99)
- #5 Boron (max supply 99)
- #6 Carbon (max supply 200)
- #7 Nitrogen (max supply 200)
- #8 Oxygen (max supply 299)
- #9 Fluorine (max supply 149)
- #10 Neon (max supply 200)
- #11 Sodium (max supply 299)
- #12 Magnesium (max supply 99)