Paypal has suspended a user’s funds because his cryptocurrencies trades were misunderstood to be item sales, according to the user, who posted the grievance on Reddit on Nov. 25.
- Reddit user TheCoolDoc said he bought $10,000 worth of crypto within a week, half of the buy limit that PayPal had increased; each transaction was worth less than $500
- The system recognized the transactions as item sales, as opposed to crypto purchases -- though the user did label the transactions as “crypto purchases”
- PayPal treated the transactions as suspicious activity and has permanently stopped services for the account, which had $462 dollar at the time it was frozen
- The user has attempted to sort the matter out with a PayPal representative but the firm claims the decision is final
- One other user claimed that he experienced the same problem, saying that repeated reminders on Twitter resulted in the ban being removed
- PayPal has seen a tremendous surge in interest after it announced it would support cryptocurrencies; the service is currently only limited to the US, but will be made available globally in 2021