Ceuta survived a feared new migrant surge, but hundreds remain near the border and thousands are still inside the enclave.

Ceuta: Border Under Control or Just an Illusion?


The feared August 15 migrant surge never happened.
That sounds like good news. And, in one sense, it is.
Spanish and Moroccan authorities successfully prevented a new mass attempt to reach Ceuta, the Spanish enclave on the North African coast. Hundreds of migrants were intercepted near Fnideq, the Moroccan city located just outside the border.
But there is another side to the story.
A border can be under control without the crisis being over.
That is the question now surrounding Ceuta.
After the extraordinary migration episode at the end of July, Spain and Morocco prepared for another possible mass crossing. Social media posts had been circulating for days claiming that the border would somehow be open on August 15, encouraging migrants to move toward the enclave.
The information was false, according to authorities.
The consequences were real.


Ceuta confine sotto controllo Foto 2.png


Morocco turns the border into a fortress
Morocco deployed a major security operation around Fnideq.
Police, gendarmerie and military forces were positioned around the main routes leading toward the Ceuta border. Security units monitored the hills and surrounding areas where migrants had gathered.
On August 15, Moroccan forces intercepted hundreds of people attempting to approach the Spanish enclave.
According to the latest information published by Sky TG24, 294 migrants were detained and transferred by bus toward areas in southern Morocco. More than 500 sub-Saharan migrants were reportedly still hiding in wooded areas close to the border.
Police also used tear gas and charges to disperse groups near Fnideq.
There were tense moments, but no injuries were reported in the clashes.
From a security perspective, the operation worked.
There was no repeat of the enormous July crossing.
But that does not mean the problem disappeared.


Ceuta is calm — but only on the surface
Inside Ceuta, the situation remains complicated.
On August 16, several dozen migrants held a peaceful protest on El Trampolín beach, shouting that they wanted asylum.
Improvised shelters made from cardboard and reeds have appeared in the enclave, while humanitarian organizations are assisting people who lack adequate food, shelter and sanitary facilities.
The numbers also remain uncertain.
Local Ceuta authorities estimate that between 8,000 and 12,000 migrants may still be in the enclave following the mass arrivals at the end of July.
The central Spanish government has spoken of at least 5,000.
The discrepancy illustrates how difficult it has been to establish a precise picture after an episode involving tens of thousands of people.
The Spanish government says people who entered irregularly and do not qualify for protection will be returned to Morocco.
The next challenge is therefore not simply stopping people at the border.
It is managing those who are already inside.


Ceuta confine sotto controllo Foto 3.png


The health system is under pressure
Another important part of the story is the health system.
Spain's Health Minister Mónica García said that 5,800 migrants had received medical assistance in Ceuta during the previous five days.
Around 3,500 received primary care, while the rest required hospital attention.
The minister rejected claims that the health system had collapsed.
According to the latest figures, 101 people were hospitalized, including 28 migrants, while hospital capacity had been expanded to around 200 beds.
The situation remains tense, but the pressure is reportedly decreasing.
This distinction matters.
An emergency does not automatically mean a complete institutional collapse.
Ceuta is under enormous pressure, but Spanish authorities are still operating hospitals, police services and reception structures.


Thousands of security personnel
The scale of the security deployment shows why officials were taking the August 15 warnings seriously.
Ceuta currently has around 880 National Police officers and 714 Guardia Civil personnel, plus riot police and specialized immigration officers.
Around 2,000 military personnel are also deployed.
On the Moroccan side, the security presence has been equally substantial.
This is a massive operation for a relatively small territory.
And it raises an uncomfortable question:
Can a border really be considered normal if thousands of security personnel are needed to keep it quiet?
Perhaps not.
But it can still be described as controlled.
At least for now.


Ceuta confine sotto controllo Foto 4.png


Social media has become part of the border crisis
One of the most interesting aspects of the Ceuta crisis is the role of social media.
The August 15 mobilization was reportedly encouraged by online messages claiming that the border would be open.
The information was false.
Yet thousands of people apparently believed it strongly enough to move toward the border.
This shows how migration crises have changed.
A border threat no longer needs to be organized only through traditional smuggling networks.
A viral message can create expectations, mobilize crowds and force governments to deploy enormous security resources.
That means border security is increasingly connected to information security.
Authorities are not only monitoring roads, beaches and mountains.
They are also monitoring what people are being told online.


Then came another press freedom controversy
There is another development that should not be ignored.
While Morocco was trying to prevent a new mass crossing, Moroccan authorities reportedly ordered journalists from Spanish news agency EFE and public broadcaster TVE to leave Fnideq.
According to Sky TG24, the journalists were covering the migration crisis when they were told to leave the city and the country, with the possible confiscation of their press credentials and equipment if they did not comply.
No clear public explanation was reportedly provided.
Some Moroccan media described the decision as an act of “reciprocity,” referring to an earlier episode in which a Moroccan television crew faced restrictions when trying to work in Ceuta.
This is particularly sensitive because an Italian Rai crew had also recently reported unusually strict controls and temporary detention of its equipment while entering Ceuta.
The issue is becoming larger than migration.
It is becoming a question about who is allowed to document the border crisis.


Ceuta confine sotto controllo Foto 5.png


Security and journalism
Every country has the right to protect its borders.
Journalists are not above immigration or security regulations.
But democratic societies also depend on the ability of journalists to report from places where political decisions have major consequences.
When journalists are removed from a border area while documenting a migration crisis, authorities should be able to explain why.
That does not automatically prove censorship.
But it does create a legitimate question.
What rule was applied?
What security risk did the journalists represent?
Why were they removed at that particular moment?
These questions become even more important when similar incidents begin appearing on both sides of the border.


Ceuta is now part of a larger European dispute
The crisis has already gone beyond Spain and Morocco.
Italy introduced temporary controls on connections arriving from Spain, citing security concerns linked to possible secondary movements of migrants.
Spain subsequently introduced its own temporary controls affecting travellers arriving from Italy.
The dispute has therefore entered the Schengen debate.
A crisis that began at a relatively small border between Africa and Spain has now affected relations between two EU member states.
That is why Ceuta matters.
It is not simply a Spanish problem.
It is a European border problem.


Ceuta confine sotto controllo Foto 6.png


A border can be controlled without being secure
This may be the most important distinction.
The August 15 operation was successful in preventing another mass crossing.
But there are still hundreds of migrants near the border.
Thousands remain in Ceuta.
The humanitarian situation has not disappeared.
The political dispute has not disappeared.
And the possibility of another attempt has not disappeared.
A successful security operation can stop an event.
It cannot automatically solve the conditions that produced the event.
That requires diplomacy, cooperation, migration agreements, effective asylum procedures, returns where legally justified, and action against criminal networks exploiting vulnerable people.
Security is necessary.
But security alone is not a long-term strategy.


The question Europe should ask
Ceuta has now become a symbol of Europe's wider migration dilemma.
The enclave is simultaneously a Spanish city, an EU territory and one of Africa's closest land gateways into European territory.
That geographical reality is not going to change.
Neither is the pressure on people seeking a better life in Europe.
The question is whether Spain, Morocco, Italy and the wider European Union can manage that pressure without allowing every new incident to become a diplomatic confrontation.
The August 15 crisis ended without the mass crossing many had feared.
That is positive.
But calling the situation solved would be premature.
The border held. The crisis did not disappear.
That may be the most accurate description of Ceuta today.


Ceuta confine sotto controllo Foto 7.png


What happens next?
The next weeks will be crucial.
Will the Moroccan security deployment remain at its current level?
Will the migrants hiding near the border attempt another crossing?
How many people will remain in Ceuta?
Will Spain accelerate returns?
Will asylum procedures expand?
And will journalists continue to have free access to the Moroccan side of the border?
These questions will determine whether August 15 was the end of the emergency or simply the end of one chapter.
For now, Ceuta looks calm.
But calm and resolved are not the same thing.
Is the border truly under control — or are we simply looking at a crisis temporarily held behind an enormous security wall?
That is the question worth watching.


👉 READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE " Commenta La Notizia " BLOG 👇
https://commenta-la-notizia.blogspot.com/2026/08/ceuta-confine-sotto-controllo-ferragosto-migranti.html


Subscribe and vote for all articles 👇
https://www.publish0x.com/goldweb?a=xkazKWYYbJ


© 2026 Commenta la Notizia - All rights reserved
Official sources used under fair use


📺 Follow Commenta La Notizia for deeper insights, global analysis, and fearless discussions about the issues that shape our world — from politics and technology to society and the hidden forces behind the headlines.
⚠️ Legal Notice This article and the related multimedia content are the exclusive property of the author. Copying, reproduction, distribution, or modification in any form or on any platform is prohibited without written permission.
Copyright © CondividiSulWeb – YouTube Commenta La Notizia


👤 Author: @condividisulweb


✍️ Commenta La Notizia is my editorial project created to provide clear and engaging insights into news, events, and major current issues.
Every article, video, and short is made with a clear goal: not only to inform, but also to give context, reflection points, and analysis to understand not just what happens, but especially why it happens.
With Commenta La Notizia I want to build a reliable and accessible space where everyone can get informed, understand, and join the discussion.
🌐 If you want to stay updated, you can follow me here.
💬 Your opinion matters! Every piece of news is a chance to discuss: share your thoughts and make your voice heard.
📰 Comment, share, stay informed.

🙏 Thank you for reading: your time and your opinion are the true value



✍️ SUPPORT FREE INFORMATION✍️


⚠️REMEMBER, YOU CAN VOTE ON ALL ARTICLES EVERY HOUR
AND REGISTER FOR FREE TO VOTE!⚠️


👇👇👇👇 😍 HELP GROW MY PASSION😍 👇👇👇👇


Publish0x Blog

Official Blog (Original Complete Articles)

Blurt Blog

Facebook Page

Youtube Channel

Telegram Channel

How do you rate this article?

3


CondividiSulWeb
CondividiSulWeb

Want to support my project? Then subscribe to our YouTube channel too: 🔴 https://www.youtube.com/@CommentaLaNotizia 🔴 Remember to comment on our videos and leave a LIKE.


Commenta La Notizia
Commenta La Notizia

🔷 Official Bio – Commenta La Notizia 🎙️ News that get people talking. 📰 Crypto • Finance • Gossip • Current Events • Breaking News & more. 🌍 From Italy to the world. 💬 Comment. Share. Reflect. 📲 Follow us and never miss a beat. 📢 Your opinion matters.

Publish0x

Send a $0.01 microtip in crypto to the author, and earn yourself as you read!

20% to author / 80% to me.
We pay the tips from our rewards pool.

Page not displaying correctly?