Cloud storage has effectively replaced the traditional model of physical hardware storage for developers building apps and websites, as well as individual consumers storing their data. Here, we explore some of the most popular decentralized cloud storage options and how they’re leveraging blockchain technology to improve this industry.
- Akash Network (AKT)
- The decentralized finance (DeFi) industry and developers interested in developing decentralized apps are Akash Network’s key target audiences (dApps)
- Akash is, at its core, a decentralized, open-source cloud services marketplace that bills itself as “DeCloud for DeFi”
- The major goals of this project are to provide decentralized data storage choices for cloud-based applications that are faster, cheaper, and more efficient
2 . Filecoin (FIL)
- Filecoin is an open-source, cloud-based storage network created by the same team behind the Interplanetary File System (IPFS)
- It intends to address some of the perceived drawbacks of standard cloud storage providers
- Insufficient trust, unstable security, restricted connectivity, poor scalability, and a greater reliance on centralized systems are among the issues
- The purpose of Filecoin is to create a massive decentralized file storage network that can be customized to meet the demands of different consumers
3. Siacoin (SC)
- Siacoin is a blockchain network that enables decentralized data storage by utilizing users’ unused hard drive space and renting it to those that require it
- Siacoin storage providers can receive incentives in the form of Siacoin (SC), the network’s native utility token, by monetizing their storage space through its data storage marketplace
- Siacoin wants to set itself apart from its competitors by emphasizing the highly decentralized nature of its infrastructure above everything else
- Siacoin intends to provide people not only complete sovereignty over their data but also the opportunity to keep it securely and independently without being censored
- Storj also makes use of unused storage space and underutilized network capacity
- By motivating users all over the world to donate excess storage space to businesses or individuals who require ultra-secure and private storage
- The decentralized storage system from Storj encrypts, splits, and distributes files across thousands of statistically uncorrelated nodes and ISPs all over the world
- Despite the fact that early versions of the Storj protocol used blockchain technology, the present version of the protocol does not
5. Internxt (INXT)
- Internxt is an online cloud storage service that focuses on securing sensitive data, whether personal or professional
- On Windows and Mac PCs, you can get quick access to 2GB of free storage via browser, or you may download the program and app for Android and iOS devices to get the same benefit
- By customizing files, altering folder colours, and modifying icons, you may personalize the cloud interface to create a more organized dashboard
- The best part of using Internxt is the file delivery method
None of these articles constitutes financial advice. Articles are highly summarised to make it easy for the reader and save your time, so please DYOR further before putting your hard-earned money into any product mentioned.
Please note that the tech industry evolves rapidly and the info in this article is correct at the time of publishing. As Heraclitus said, “Change is the only constant”, so if anything sounds old or off please holler on the socials or comment here so everyone stays peeled.
Affiliate links may be included in these articles and signups through these links are highly appreciated. These links support better research and quality writing and help you find the right products with less hassle, so it’s a win-win :) Great care is taken to ensure the links are from authentic, non-spammy sources.
Stay up to date on the latest stories by signing up for the newsletter. Please don’t mark these emails as spam, instead, you can easily unsubscribe.