Know Your Customer (KYC) verification process refers to the process of verifying the identity of customers or clients to prevent fraudulent activities and money laundering. This is a mandatory requirement for exchanges and other service providers to comply with regulations and maintain a secure and reliable platform for users. KYC involves the submission of personal identification documents like a passport or driver's license, along with additional information about the individual's financial background.
When wanting to buy crypto with FIAT, most of the entities allowing that service would require a KYC verification. However, sometimes people just do not want to have to disclose their identity and provide any legal documents because of concerns regarding privacy, security, anonymity, geographical restrictions, lack of trust, ... In that case, finding a way to buy crypto at a convenient rate may be difficult. Some people choose to go for P2P transactions, others find platforms allowing debit/credit card purchase with potential high fees.
I personally found a way to buy crypto, without going through any advanced KYC verification process, using a debit/credit card with a 3.2% fee.
Trust Wallet & Mercuryo
Trust Wallet is a decentralized hot wallet available on Android and iOS. All your coins and tokens can be stored in a single, secure mobile wallet.
Trust Wallet has several partners as payment networks so that crypto purchase can be made easily within their mobile app.
Mercuryo is a global payments ecosystem, enabling businesses all over the world to implement crypto transactions. Recently, Mercuryo introduced the possibility to buy up to €700 of crypto with FIAT without advanced KYC.
1. For that, download the Trust Wallet app.
2. Recover your wallet or create a new one.
3. Go on the "Buy" section:
4. Choose the crypto you would like to buy, for instance Ethereum $ETH, Bitcoin $BTC, Binance Coin $BNB... For me, I prefer buying Tron $TRX, as the transaction fee on this blockchain is free in most cases:
5. Select the amount you would like to buy, I would suggest you to start with the minimum one, 50€. Then select the third party provider, here Mercuryo.
6. You have to create an account on Mercuryo, fill your mail address:
You have to provide the code sent to your mail address.
7. Even if the KYC verification process through ID or legal document is not mandatory to buy crypto, you will have to enter your name:
8. Fill your debit/credit card number to complete the purchase:
9. The transaction has been ordered. Wait for Mercuryo to process it:
10. Once the transaction has been processed by Mercuryo you can check the details on the blockchain chosen, for me, on Tronscan:
Using Mercuryo as payment network within Trust Wallet is an easy way for buying crypto without going through any advanced KYC verification process, by using a debit/credit card with a 3.2% fee. The minimum amount to buy is 50€ and the maximum cumulative threshold that you can buy without advanced KYC is 700€. Mercuryo is based in Lithuania, which is part of the European Union. Therefore, no additional fee should be applied if you pay in Euro (€) and that the country attached to your bank account is located in the European Union.
Disclosure: I do not have any affiliate relationships or partnerships with any companies or products mentioned in my article.