Well in the previous post I have covered adding two 2-digit numbers, complementary numbers, and adding list/array of numbers. Before reading this post please go check them to make this post easily understandable. Go through these links.
Hope you have read these posts. Now let's understand our main topic.
If I ask you to add two multi digits numbers like 3467+4587 you would probably need a calculator to solve this. Well no, our motive is to solve the calculations without a calculator. Well to add two multi digits numbers, the trick is pretty easy. So, let us be hardworking like Naruto and learn the steps to perform this addition.
- Split the number in pair of two i.e 3467 will be 34 | 67 and 4587 will be 45 | 87.
- Can you add two-digit numbers? Well, now that is all you have to do add two-digit numbers. But addition should be in order.
- To simplify our addition let's name the splitter parts. 34 | 67 be (a1 | b1) and 45 | 87 be (a2 | b2).
- Now always remember that we always add two numbers from right to left so first we would add b1 and b2 and later a1 and a2 i.e b1+b2 followed by a1+a2.
- while adding two 2-digit numbers the max sum would be 198. And you know that there is term carry in addition. so while adding the numbers if digits exceed 2 then we will take carry. carry in this case will always be 1.
- so now add b1 and b2 and if carry is generated, add carry to a1+a2. If again carry is generated, just place it in starting.
Might be confusing, so let us visualize the whole process.
3467 + 4587 34 | 67 + 45 | 87 ------------ Now adding 67 + 87 will give 154. As we know we can only write a 2-digit number so 1 will be carried from 154 leaving 54 as a 2-digit number. 1 | 34 | 67 + 45 | 87 ------------- | 54 nor adding 34 + 45 + 1(carried from previous terms) 1 | 34 | 67 + 45 | 87 ------------ 80 | 54 thus giving 3467 + 4587 = 8054
What if a number is 5-digit or 6-digit?
Just apply this trick. For a number like 25631 make it even by adding 0 in starting giving 025631 and split it as 02 | 56 | 31 and add to the desired number. All you have to remember is to split the number into pairs.
Let's try some questions on your own.
- 24565 + 2367
- 2020 + 4824
- 956 + 1455
Check out my post on benefits of vedic maths .
Follow me on Leo Finance | @aco5