Solent Sailing


Always nice waking up to sunrise ūüĆÖ¬†

I got caught in the traffic going down to Fareham by the time I had slipped the lines it was +2 high water and the sun was beginning to set. The Solent was fairly quite just a few yachts and container ships. I was once again sailing in the dark, nothing quite like night sailing single handed.  I was 3nm from Wooten Creek when I could hear a loud engine and spotted a port and starboard light but, could not see any other lights. The lights were at least 400 metres high it appeared to be on a collision course. Then I realised why no other lights were visible it was the coast guard helicopter.


It was a really weird night and I was very tied having been up since 5am so I decided to pick up a buoy in Cowes, just outside of the channel I was so tied I thought that I would get a good nights sleep. The wash from the ferry was immense and woke me each and every time I had very little sleep that night.



I woke up to an amazing sunrise. Despite the lack of sleep it was nice to have spent the night in Cowes without stepping ashore. I checked the forecast and all was well. I did the engine checks and then click, click she would not start. I had left the cabin light on and had two flat batteries. I was so tied the night before I forgot to switch to the second battery and had left the switch on both. So I was really not happy.  

I gave the batteries a charge with the generator but, after an hour with not enough charge to  start the engine I decided to use the outboard engine and head to Yarmouth. It was a nice sail to Yarmouth and upon arrival I was unable to get though to the harbour master on the radio. So I decided to look for a berth myself. It was packed I managed to find a berth on a walk ashore pontoon with much needed shore power. But, it was very tight indeed I always have my lines and fenders ready when entering port and was able to moor up successfully without any drama.


I had not been to Yarmouth before and it was a pleasant place to spend the night. My batteries now had a full charge and I was preparing the lines to slip when I saw several yachts having near misses upon entering and leaving. I had a bit worried as I had to get out of a tight spot and come about with very little room for error. I put my tricorn on and slipped the lines go a engaged gear and gave the throttle a good push perhaps a little too much to the amazement of onlookers and myself I spun Tallula around with ease and very rapidly.

I left Yarmouth and decided to try a bit of fishing with the hand line I caught a mackerel on the way back and was very pleased with myself I just wish that I had put a second line out. It took me about 3 hours to get back to Portsmouth 40 minutes to my mooring.



The above is from my original blog that I own the rights to.

How do you rate this article?


By sea and land
By sea and land

Normal person who loves linguistics and travel. I have a passion for sailing and being on the water. I love to travel overland or by sea. I have been making money online since 2005.

Sailing for everyone
Sailing for everyone

Sailing is not just for the rich but, everyone. All about sailing and being on the water.

Send a $0.01 microtip in crypto to the author, and earn yourself as you read!

20% to author / 80% to me.
We pay the tips from our rewards pool.