The episode "How the West Was 1010001" of the animated series Futurama inspired me to create this here list of references & jokes related to crypto that were mentioned/alluded to in it.
Before getting down to it, let me just mention that this revival of the series maintains the essence of the show and is true to its roots. Without further ado, here's my list:
- Professor Farnsworth bankrupts Planet Express by investing borrowed money in Bitcoin and selling at a loss after it crashes
- The Professor's plan to make the money back is to find and sell "thallium" used to make Bitcoin miners, implying that only those who sell the "picks and axes" in the crypto mining industry are the only ones who make money
- The chart of Bitcoin shows a massive decline in 2023, perhaps foreshadowing what the show's writers think of cryptocurrencies
- The crew travels to Doge City in an old-west style setting, implying the current "wild west" spirit of crypto where there are really rules
- Doge City's electricity is consumed entirely by Bitcoin miners, while everyone else in town has to live in the "old west" style'
- Speaking of the barkeep's mood, the robot player piano says "she fluctuates like the price of Bitcoin"
- Bender wins a bid on a donkey by betting 0.00000125 BTC, which in today's price is 3.3 cents (USD)
- The old man assayer runs his Bitcoin "mining rig" but instead discovers Ethereum, which disappoints the old man
- Roberto's heist plan involves stealing a USB stick with recently mined Bitcoin from a "Wells Crypto" stagecoach
- While searching for "thallium," Amy is disappointed to only find mounds of "worthless gold" -- Bitcoin's store of value being oft compared to the precious metal...Peter Schiff reference definitely
And yes, I know this article is a few weeks late as the episode was released on August 7th. Anyway, I'm sure that my list is not comprehensive and I missed a few. But hopefully you've enjoyed this post and the episode.
The original Bitcoin faucet is long gone, but there are still ways to collect some free crypto:
Sign up here on Publish0x, if you haven't already, to earn free crypto for reading & writing content
Join Cointiply and roll the faucet every hour, view PTC ads, take surveys to earn free Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, or Dash
Downoad the Bitcoin Cash Giveaway to collect some free BCH sats, paid out weekly
Check out Yescoiner to easily collect some satoshis; no nonsense -- just solve a captcha. Low payout, slow drip here
Final AutoClaim is another facuet-style site that offers payouts in 74 different coins
For an entertaining, off-the-wall faucet, check out Crypto Junkie. Great for accumulating SPACE and SHIB
Play Gemly, a P2E game, and earn payouts in BTC, Litecoin, BNB, Tether, Tron, and Dogecoin
For rewards in XNO and BTC, check out TipNano app