To some of us search engine always meant "Google" and that is because Google has been providing search capabilities on internet for more than 2 decades now. As internet has spread its reach across many countries, more and more of digital data is being produced and consumed daily. In recent times, privacy has taken a centre stage discussion for many users and hidden practices from big tech companies likes of Google, Facebook etc. are getting more and more exposed daily. Search engines like "Google", have full visibility of our daily searches and it has potential to exploit user information for monetization. In past many lawsuits have been filed against Google due to their breach of user privacy. Its easy to find them on internet but to save your time, I am listing few of the links below for easy reference.
So, what all this means for a common internet user, who just want to browse internet without worrying about their privacy. If not google , what other alternatives they have got! How do they trust new company of not stealing their data?
Presearch is a growing name in the search engine space. As described by the company, it's a community-powered, decentralized search engine that provides better results while protecting your privacy and rewarding you when you search.
Few things to note about Presearch are : "Community powered" , "Decentralized Search Engine" , "Protect privacy" and "Reward". In short, in my opinion that's what everyone is after to have safe and secure access to internet and getting rewarded for our searches is like cherry on top of cake!!! I will try to break down these terms one by one so its easy to understand for any one.
- Community Powered: Presearch search engine employs number of user nodes deployed across the world. These nodes are run and maintained by community members. So it's a truly community effort the run and provide the search engine services. I will discuss more about Presearch nodes in below section and also explain how anyone join this community and be part of this search engine revolution.
- Decentralized Search Engine: As most of the search is processed across different nodes which are distributed across, so its not centralized into one data centre or one hub. This makes the search engine very robust against any vulnerability due to location.
- Protect Privacy: All the searches performed on Presearch are anonymized and no user information is recorded or tracked. So there is no way any monetization can be done at the cost of user information.
- Reward: This may be exciting part for many people, getting paid for your own searches. Does it sound fishy?? No, don't be alarmed, Its TRUE. Presearch rewards its user by giving them PRE token in lieu of using their search engine and helping to build it. So while you are performing your regular searches, you are getting paid in PRE cryptocurrency and also you can brag about your involvement in development of something revolutionary like Presearch.
Now bit of technical stuff for those who are excited after knowing about Presearch and want to be part of node runners and help in building and supporting the search engine.
Nodes are individual computers, which run Presearch Node software and provide computing power to Presearch ecosystem. To run a node, it has very simple requirement as below:
- Supported Operating Systems : Windows, Linux and Mac
- PC Configuration: To operate, minimum 1 GB RAM and more than 2 GB of Hard disk should be good enough.
- Internet Speed : Faster is better ( no one like slow connections!! ).
- Nodes run in software environment called Docker, which is supported by all major OS and servers.
- You can run node on your personal computer, on cloud server ( like google cloud, oracle cloud, AWS , Azure etc..)
So what does node do? In simple words, when a user performs search on Presearch website, the request first goes to main Gateways. Gateways are first point of receiving any query and providing information back to user. Currently all the gateways servers are run and maintained by Presearch. From the gateway, requests get channelled to different nodes for executing the search query. When individual nodes receive the request query from Gateway, it process the query by searching internet and then returning the results to gateway. Gateway then pack the results received from the nodes and present to user in a neat and concise manner.
Can I become a node runner and what do I need to do? Yes, as Presearch is community powered and decentralized search engine so its open to individual community members. Register on the Presearch website : https://nodes.presearch.org/ to get your unique registration code.
Why Should I run a node and what is financial benefit? Currently more than financial perks, its an opportunity to become part of something big and in parallel learn different nuances of growing technology with like minded people. However , it does not mean there are no financial perks. Currently node runners are rewarded with PRE token based on the reward mechanism as described in their vision paper.
Thanks for reading so far and we have reached to last section of my post and if you are eager to jump on running nodes, then just follow the simple below instruction:
How to install and run a node:
Step 0: Register on Presearch website and get a registration code. Same code can be used on multiple nodes but keep your code private and do not share with anyone outside.
Step 1: Install docker (You can download docker for desktop from here ). Follow the instruction to install docker on your pc.
Step 2: After successful docker installation, Run the below commands in terminal or cmd window < As advised by Presearch team >
For Mac and Linux:
The one-line command to install everything is as follows (for Linux / Mac):
docker stop presearch-node ; docker rm presearch-node ; docker stop presearch-auto-updater ; docker rm presearch-auto-updater ; docker run -d --name presearch-auto-updater --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock containrrr/watchtower --cleanup --interval 300 presearch-node ; docker pull presearch/node ; docker run -dt --name presearch-node --restart=unless-stopped -v presearch-node-storage:/app/node -e REGISTRATION_CODE=YOUR_REGISTRATION_CODE_HERE presearch/node ; docker logs -f presearch-node
On Windows 10, it's the same command, but replace the ";" semicolons with "&" ampersands:
docker stop presearch-node & docker rm presearch-node & docker stop presearch-auto-updater & docker rm presearch-auto-updater & docker run -d --name presearch-auto-updater --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock containrrr/watchtower --cleanup --interval 300 presearch-node & docker pull presearch/node & docker run -dt --name presearch-node --restart=unless-stopped -v presearch-node-storage:/app/node -e REGISTRATION_CODE=YOUR_REGISTRATION_CODE_HERE presearch/node & docker logs -f presearch-node
As communicated by Presearch official telegram channel :
"You only need to do this once to install the node and keep it running, but if anything ever breaks you can run the command again to fix it and "reinstall everything clean". You can safey run that command as many times as you want to reinstall the node running as a service. It will remember your node identity (public/private key) between installs, so there's no loss of data when you do this. If you're curious about what these commands do and want to see them broken out separately, you can look at https://t.me/PresearchNodes/1020"
Step 3 :If all goes successful , You should see the node running and waiting for search.. At this moment , you can close the terminal and let it run in background without any manual effort.
On your computer, you can run below command in terminal or cmd window.
docker logs -f presearch-node
Step 4: That's all !! You are all set up to run a node and is part of fantastic node runner community.
If you made till here, thanks a lot for your time and interest in this project.