According to a blog post published on Feb. 1, blockchain based game Axie Infinity has switched to Ethereum sidechain Ronin, with in-game land and items migrating to the sidechain over the coming week.
- The decision to move to Ronin was motivated by the desire to reduce transaction fees and times for users, with the team saying that “tons of gravity has been pressing down on in the form of high transaction fees”
- Users will also receive a time-limited reward if they migrate their in-game items, and a marketplace for items on Ronin will launch later this week
- The game has quickly become one of the most popular blockchain games, with nearly $350k in weekly volumes
- Axie Infinity has also partnered with projects to increase exposure and utility in the game, including partnering with Aave to release an Aave-based NFT
- The popularity of Axie helped it raised $860k for the governance token AXS, which saw the likes of Delphi Digital participate