For the dough
* 300 g cream cheese, at room temperature
* 340 g butter, at room temperature
* 370 g all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon(s) salt
* 1 egg yolk, beaten with a little water, for brushing
For the filing
* 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
* 3 spring onions
* 1 kilo spinach, washed
* 1/2 bunch mint
* 1/3 bunch dill
* lemon zest, of 1 lemon
* 500 g feta cheese, crumbled by hand
* 200 g cream cheese
* Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
For the dough
* Beat the cream cheese and butter for 2-3 minutes in a mixer, until light and fluffy.
* Combine the flour and salt and add it to the mixer.
* Beat just long enough to combine. The flour should not be beaten for long.
* The dough created will be very, very soft.
* When ready, divide the dough in half and shape in to 2 balls.
* Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours so it can chill.
* While the dough is chilling, prepare the filling.
For the filling
* Place a nonstick pan over medium to high heat.
* Add the olive oil.
* Coarsely chop the spring onions and add them to the pan.
* Sauté until they soften.
* Tear apart the spinach with your hands and add it to the pan.
* Stir and sauté until all of its juices evaporate.
* When ready, transfer to a bowl.
* Roughly chop the mint and add it to the bowl.
* Add the dill, lemon zest, crumbled feta, cream cheese, pepper and salt.
* Mix and the filling for the pie is ready.
For the spinach and herb pie
* When the dough has rested and chilled, roll out each piece in to a circular sheet that is 40 cm in diameter, using a generous amount of flour to help you. The circles do not have to be completely round…
* Spread one of the sheets on the bottom of a 30 cm round baking pan, letting some of the sheet of dough hang over the edge of the pan.
* Add the filling and spread it evenly over the dough.
* Cover with the second sheet of dough.
* Seal the edges along the circumference.
* Brush the surface of the dough with the prepared egg yolk.
* Bake for 40-50 minutes, placing it on the highest rack in the oven so that the pie can bake evenly on both top and bottom.
Recipe by akis petretzikis