This week's Splinterlands Challenge of the Week was to showcase the classic Beta card: Defender of Truth
Even at Level 1 this is a decent card for the Mana - 1 magic attack with 3 health, 1 shield (which in Bronze league can be crucial) and reasonable speed for starters.
The battle below features Defender of Truth in a classic mid-mana line up with the Life Splinter....
The Rule Set and Line Up
- Mana cap 23
- standard rules (bronze league)
Summoner - Tyrus
- ShieldBearer - even against magic attacks his high health makes him staunch, and taunt works a charm given the prevalence of sneak down here!
- Armoursmith - got to repair those shields!
- Divine Healer - works wonders with a high health card up front!
- Defender of Truth - always useful to have at least one magic attack in Bronze!
- Feral Spirit - when in Rome, sneak!
Did my strategy work?
Beautifully, to see it in action click here!
- Round 1 - Feral takes out the Albatros, annoyingly it's clearly a sneak sink. No other losses, I'm healed back up to 8 from 9 and shields get repaired to almost full too. And with my sneak attack pounding his healer, this is only going one way, but it'll take some time.
- Rounds 2 and 3 - we exchange blows and heal/ repair, no losses.
- Round 4 - my Feral takes out his Crustacean healer, I'm being repaired 2 damage every round and with the Shark attacking first, that means no damage from his melee attacks, only going one way this battle!
- Round 5 - Feral takes out the Ice Pixie - VERY vulnerable card that with only 1 health! Defender takes out Frozen Soldier
- Round 6 - I take out the shark!
- Round 7 - It's all over, Defender finishes of the match by taking out the Medusa!
How important was the Defender of Truth?
Given the Shield ability on my opponent's tank, the magic attack worked to take out his tank, after the healer was gone, but this depended on the Feral!
While useful, I'm not sure the Defender was actually needed this battle - with the combination of healing and repair my opponent was unlikely to do sufficient damage before the Feral would have taken out every one of his monsters on his own!
So while he sped things up, in this particular battle I can't claim he was useful TBH!
Final Thoughts: Defender of Truth - worth buying and levelling up?
Well this is a useful card for 4 mana - and maxed it's NICE - 3 magic damage and protect.
HOWEVER, at time of writing an individual card costs around $60 and a maxed one $2000.
So hand on heart, I can't say this is worth it, you can get other protect and high magic cards for a lot cheaper, even if you can't get them both in one card.
So it's nice but from a budget perspective I think it's a case of if you don't already have it, shop around for Untamed and/ or rewards cards that maybe aren't quite as good, but are less than than half the price of this classic!
If you don't yet play Splinterlands, why not give it a go?
Anyone using my referral link will receive a free rare card!