- User says that he had 1400 BTC in an Electrum wallet he had not accessed since 2017
- The user had installed an old version of the wallet, which then launched a popup asking him to install the new version
- After installing the new version, the BTC was immediately transferred to the hacker’s address, which N-chain analysis shows was linked to a Binance account
- The trace ended in St. Petersburg, Russia, though it is suspected that a VPN was used to hide the true location
- Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao said that the exchange had blacklisted the address; the Binance team added that the address does come from a specific Binance user
- Other users in the Github thread have reported similar incidents, though there has been no update from Electrum
1400BTC Stolen from User, Trace Ends in Russia
Send a $0.01 microtip in crypto to the author, and earn yourself as you read!% to author / 80% to me.
We pay the tips from our rewards pool.