You are reading an excerpt from our free but shortened abridged report! While still packed with incredible research and data, for just $20/month you can upgrade to our FULL library of 50+ reports (including this one) and complete industry-leading analysis on the top crypto assets.
Becoming a Premium member means enjoying all the perks of a Basic membership PLUS:
- Full-length CORE Reports: More technical, in-depth research, actionable insights, and potential market alpha for serious crypto users
- Early access to future CORE ratings: Being early is sometimes just as important as being right!
- Premium Member CORE+ Reports: Coverage on the top issues pertaining to crypto users like bridge security, layer two solutions, DeFi plays, and more
- CORE report Audio playback: Don’t want to read? No problem! Listen on the go.
The Sandbox roadmap is divided into four different phases: Foundation, Game, Metaverse, and The New Autonomous World. Each phase builds on the previous one and has its own set of milestones and objectives.
This phase involves the development of the core technology, as well as the creation of content and a user base for The Sandbox. The following are some of the key milestones for this phase:
- Release of the first version of The Sandbox game
- Creation of the SAND token
- Launch of the first presale event
- Launch of the Alpha version of The Sandbox game
- Sale of virtual land
- Introduction of the Game Maker Fund
- Launch of the VoxEdit tool
This phase involves the expansion of The Sandbox game with a focus on improving gameplay and graphics. The following are some of the key milestones for this phase:
- Launch of Alpha Stage 2
- Release of The Sandbox mobile version
- Integration of the SAND token into The Sandbox game
- Addition of multiplayer features to The Sandbox game
- Launch of the second and third waves of the Game Maker Fund
- Release of new characters and items
This phase involves the creation of a metaverse, where users can create and share their own virtual experiences. The following are some of the key milestones for this phase:
- Launch of The Sandbox metaverse
- Introduction of social features, such as chat and friends lists
- Addition of support for VR headsets
- Launch of the fourth wave of the Game Maker Fund
- Introduction of The Sandbox Creator Fund
The New Autonomous World Phase
This phase involves the creation of a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) that'll be responsible for the governance and maintenance of The Sandbox metaverse. The following are some of the key milestones for this phase:
- Establishment of the DAO and transfer of control to the SAND token holders.
- Development of the decentralized marketplace.
- Addition of new revenue streams for creators, such as ad revenue sharing.
- Integration of other blockchain projects and assets.
The Sandbox was founded in 2011 by Sebastien Borget and Arthur Madrid as a virtual gaming platform with a focus on user-generated content. In 2012, the first version of the game was launched, and by 2018, the platform had over 40 million downloads and 1 million monthly active users.
In 2018, The Sandbox team decided to pivot towards blockchain technology, and in March of that year, they announced the launch of a blockchain version of the game. In June 2018, The Sandbox conducted its first Initial Coin Offering (ICO), raising $2.5 million from investors. Throughout 2019, The Sandbox team worked on developing the blockchain version of the game and testing various features. In September 2019, the team launched a public beta of the game on Ethereum's Rinkeby testnet.
In early 2020, The Sandbox released its Game Maker software, which allows users to create their own games and content on the platform. In July 2020, The Sandbox conducted its second ICO, raising $3 million in just five hours. In December 2020, The Sandbox launched its first alpha test, allowing users to experience the game and purchase in-game assets using the SAND token. The alpha test was followed by a second alpha test in February 2021, which saw increased user engagement and more advanced gameplay features.
Throughout 2021 and 2022, the Sandbox continued to release features and product updates to fulfill their roadmap ambitions. In 2021, the Sandbox rolled out enhancements to their VoxEdit and GameMaker tools, giving far more creative freedom to The Sandbox developers and creators. The Sandbox also successfully completed several rounds of virtual LAND sales.
In 2022, The Sandbox focused primarily on building out its playability and attracting users and creators to its metaverse. Arguably, the most important features released in 2022 involve updated and enhanced game mechanics that allow for increased playability and creativity within gamified metaverse experiences. Many of these new features were demonstrated throughout several experiences as a part of Alpha Season 3. The success of Alpha Season 3 in Q4 2022 has also demonstrated The Sandbox’s ability to successfully attract and manage millions of potential users, showcasing its ability to serve as a true multiplayer platform.
In 2023 and beyond, The Sandbox is expected to introduce several more features to add content to its platform, including NPCs, playable quests, and more. For blockchain gamers and metaverse enthusiasts, there are also loose plans to develop interoperability with other Ethereum-based metaverse platforms and games, most notably Decentraland and Axie Infinity. The timeline for these developments is unclear.