Yes, I know, there are plenty of free, online crypto portfolio services you can access. So why am I bothering to make one? It's a fair question, so allow me to outline my reasoning below and hopefully, by the end of this short article, you'll see the benefits of what I'm going to make.
Why Make One?
This is the central question. You can visit many places online and create a crypto portfolio to view and manage your assets. However, to do so, you'll probably have to:
- Create an account.
- Provide your name, address, and email at the very least.
- Log into their site whenever you want to view your portfolio.
That's a lot of personal information you're trading to get an online crypto portfolio.
Some may think that's a fair trade to make for getting a free service, though I believe you're paying for something in data currency which is inherently yours to begin with.
Why Let Others Profit From Your Data?
The site that you sign up with, will most likely use your data to:
- Perform data analysis to increase their revenue.
- Potentially sell it to third-party companies.
- Anything else they describe in their Terms & Conditions.
Let's be honest, no one reads the T&C's; we sign up and use the service and, at best, trust the company to be transparent.
Though what it the following were to happen:
- The company gets hacked, and some very bad people find out just how much crypto you have?
- The company sells your data to another company that you wouldn't want to know anything about you.
- The government decide they want to begin monitoring your assets.
Depending on where you live, the last point may or may not be that important to you.
I'm going to use Python to build a crypto-portfolio that will allow you to do the following:
- Create a crypto portfolio.
- View your assets in an interactive data dashboard.
- Track your portfolio over time.
- Customise the dashboard to your personal preferences.
I'm actually making this for myself, though I figure once it's done, it'd be pretty cool to publish it as a Python package on PyPI and allow anyone to use it.
You won't have to send me your email; they'll be no subscription fee; it will just be available to you for free.
All of the above will happen locally on your machine, so no one will ever know the number of assets you might have. The only data that will potentially leave your computer will be a request to Coingecko for data on current and historical coin prices. No one will ever know any amounts for the coins that are in your portfolio.
Sounds Good, So When Do I Get My Free Portfolio?
I'll be coding this in my spare time before starting my job, so I plan to do a little each day. My goal is to make this available to you in 6-8 weeks, which gives me enough time to write the code and test it thoroughly.
I'll write another post in 3-4 weeks to update you on my progress and show you how it's going to look.
Let me know in a comment below if this would interest you, and if there are any features you would like incorporated?