This post was originally published on TapCrypto.co, located here.
In February 2022 TapCrypto published an overview of an ongoing scam related to multiple crypto faucet sites. If you have not read it, it is recommended to familiarize yourself as it covers how all of these sites (now numbering 10) are likely related and how they all operate in a similar manner, suggesting they were created by the same person or entity. You can check out our Publish0x post here Network of Scam Faucet Sites? and our follow up Network of Scam Faucet Sites? Update!
Ongoing timeline of events
- Original Post on TapCrypto - 1/26/2022
- Cross Post on Publish0x - 2/1/2022
- New "proof" on PaymentProof.club - 2/2/2022
- Last update prior was on 10/12/2021
- New Site Helidrops.io registered with NameCheap - 2/7/2022
- PaymentProof.club HeliDrop "Proof" - 5/5/2022
- Network of Scam Faucet Sites? Update! posted on 5/8/2022
- CloudNewsMag.com, based out of Nigeria posted an article - 5/9/2022
- Medium post about HeliDrops - 5/9/2022
- Another Medium post by an account who appears created same day - 5/10/2022
- PaymentProof.club HeliDrop "Proof" containing the links to the sites listed - 5/16/2022
- Another Medium post - 5/17/2022
Why we mention the medium posts and the article on CloudNewsMag is that while they are presented as completely separate and unrelated works, they use the same screenshot as "proof" of payment.
1) CloudNewsMag posted on 5/9/2022
What caught my eye is the images are watermarked with a site called browsingtechzone.com, the articles are verbatim the same.
2) This Medium Post, uses the exact same screenshot without the watermark. See for yourself. The original article, the CloudNewsMag, and this medium post were all created the same day, there is no reasonable expectation they would have seen one of the other and decided to use the same info and "proof". Occam's Razor tells us that the most likely reason is they are part of a coordinated effort to promote these scams.
3) There is an active campaign to flood review sites with positive reviews. While they may pay some users, the advice to post before ever using the site is a nefarious attempt at drowning out the real reviews. From this medium post.
See the original post to view other related sites review warnings and red flags. Helidrops is pretty new, so the amount of reviews available are minimal.
Since we last posted this update, the reviews have started to trickle in. Up to 71 reviews, many of them echoing the experiences of users on the previous 9 scam faucets but there are even more positive reviews due to the deceptive strategy described above.
We've now highlighted 10 total sites, but we have a feeling there could be more out there or the owners intend to spin up more just like it in the future. We would love to find out if any of our readers/users know of other sites like this. Please leave a comment or tweet us @tapcrypto1. We hope to continue add or identify more sites to this list/review should we identify more possible related scams.
It is our strongest advice to avoid any of these sites:
- Pirate Cash Site transitioned to Piratewins.io
Our goal from day one at TapCrypto has always been to provide our users with legitimate sites they can use to earn cryptocurrency online with no monetary investment. We do that by providing write ups/reviews created by us and us only, we do not copy from other forums or sites. We use our own personal experience on sites to communicate tips and tricks to you. We provide payment proofs and update them regularly as possible. We are quick to provide updates via twitter @tapcrypto1, and are willing to admit when we are wrong. A perfect example is when we received a payout from Ourbitco.in, we posted a review and a proof only for that site to quickly turn into a scam that wouldn’t pay users. We immediately updated our reviews and proofs to provide the Scam disclaimer and admit our mistakes, leaving them online so to protect other users potentially looking to sign up. Taking responsibility is not something we shy away from. Integrity is our number one core value. Our goal is expanding, not only to provide you legitimate faucet sites, but now to also inform you as a user of sites to steer clear of. After all, everyone wants to earn cryptocurrency and avoid scams!