Welcome developers! Ready to get building on Hydro? Below are some dApp development best practices for the Hydro dApp Store. There are many things to think about when building a dApp, outside of just “your awesome big idea”. Here are some of the best curated things to think about for keeping things buttoned up, secure and optimized when building your dApp.
First off, lets start with some do’s and don’ts:
- – Never ask for or manage a users private keys.
- – Always deploy your dApp on testnet first before jumping to mainnet.
- – Follow our dApp Store style guide for design considerations.
- – Always run an audit on your smart contracts to check for security vulnerabilities.
- – Utilize our resources and approved 3rd party partners. There are lot’s of great tools at your fingertips.
- – Don’t over complicate. Be clear and eliminate any added steps for the user to do anything.
- – Be descriptive. Don’t assume the user knows what to do. Offer help with tooltips, FAQs or a help section.
- – Before adding a new library or resource, check if it is available within the store already.
- – Keep the user in mind. Don’t use over complicated UI/UX.
- – Write down your ideas. It is easy to forget. Place all your thoughts in one place so they are kept safe.
- – Unless your dApp is localized in many languages, the primary language must be in English.
- – Be mindful of resource file-size. Optimize any logos/images or scripts before bundling your project.
- – If for some reason your dApp becomes unusable or broken, it is expected it will be updated and fixed.
- – Ask questions! We are happy to answer any questions you have, or if you get stuck.
- – Collaborate with others. If you have an idea or a skillset, collaborate and build together.
The above list, at a high level are some important things to think about. When it comes down to it. We want you to run with your creativity but also keep the users security and learning curve in mind. Don’t assume the user knows what to do.
We are excited to see what you create!
Timothy Allard / HCDP & Development Lead
The Hydro dApp Store will be open to beta testing on Monday September 23rd.