This is number 11 of the mining articles for beginners and hobby miners, if you're interested at having a go at mining some other coins then check out the rest of my blog here.
Before I begin there are a couple of things to remember; Firstly unless you have an extensive mining setup you're unlikely to get rich (or break even) and Secondly I take no responsibility for any issues you run into if you try this at home (be smart download mining software at your own risk).
This is for informational and fun purposes only; I don't claim to be an expert. If you're reading this and you are more experienced and spot any issues, by all means point it out in the comments and I'll try make the necessary updates.
This time we're going to look at mining another coin which uses the Ethash algorithm (similar to ETH and ETC), Callisto (CLO). The Callisto project is based on the Ethereum source code, which as indicated mean it currently uses the same mining algorithm. However, one benefit that makes this more approachable as a hobby miner is that the current limitation on the graphics card video RAM, that we see with ETH/ETC are greatly reduced here. This is due to the DAG size which for ETH/ETC is ~3.6 GB and therefore means you have to have a 4 GB card to mine them. However, for CLO (given that it is relatively young) the DAG size is small enough that 3 GB cards can have a go at mining. The current reward for blocks is, 216 with a block interval of ~15 sec and is listed on the following bigger exchanges if you're just looking to mine and convert:
- https://changenow.io/ (good if you want to do a quick DEX swap for other tokens)
In addition to mining the Callisto project also offers what they call cold staking. This isn't the same as active staking as a consensus mechanism (like we have for Tezo and others). Instead, this is like having a savings account with a specified tie-in period. Here is the video from the Callisto site to explain it in a little more detail.
Anyway, enough of the intro stuff, lets get mining!
Step 1: The Wallet
So off the the bat we can see that the Callisto team have created a 'partnership' with TrustWallet. As a result this is a good place to start with getting a wallet off the ground. If you'd prefer to use the official wallet you can find it here: https://wallet.callisto.network/. For this guide I will assume you've opted for TrustWallet due to the ease of setup and also reportedly having access to cold staking as well. If you've not got Trust Wallet already and plan on getting it by all means you can use my referral link: https://share.trustwallet.com/1K18DM (those that do automatically get 100 Trust Wallet Tokens (TWT), so that is an added bonus). If you'd prefer not to use this then I wont be offended.
Setting up TrustWallet is really easy if you haven't done it before, if you already have a wallet skip to step 6:
- 1 - After downloading you will need to click 'create new wallet' (if you don't have one already)
- 2 - Now you'll be shown 12 words all with a number to the left them. Make a note of these somewhere safe.
- 3 - Immediately afterwards you'll be asked to enter these words again in order
- 4 - Finally you'll see this image pop-up which means your wallet is ready
- 5 - Next we need to add CLO token to the wallet, we can do this by clicking the plus icon
- 6 - The next screen will show us a bunch of tokens, first click on the search bar and type in "CLO"
- 7 - Then we can toggle the slider to the green side so that CLO will appear in our main wallet screen
Step 2: The Mining Software
So as we said in the introduction we're going to be using the Ethash algorithm so this means that we're best off with arguably one of the most well know mining software (Claymore).
Head on over to Claymore- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0 and click on link next to 'Mega'. From this page you will see a few versions, best to download the latest version as a zip by double clicking it (currently v15.0). Unzip the file in a secure location.
At this point check in your folder and make sure you've got the file above. If not then it is likely your anti-virus software may have been a bit over zealous and intercepted the file. If this is the case you'll need to add an exception to the folder where you plan on storing the miner and try again.
Step 3: The Pools
So once we have the miner and wallet we now need to access a pool for mining. We use a pool as it is much easier than setting up your own node and mining to it directly. In the case of CLO we've got a few options listed on the official site. For this example I've picked out CallistoPool. This is because the fees are low, no registration is required and the payout is quite low as well. However, feel free to replace this section with a pool of your own choosing.
- Fee: 0.1%
- Payout Min: 50 CLO
Alternatively, if you prefer to fly solo then I'd also suggest looking at 2Miners. These are a reliable pool host, the setup is much the same as for combined mining pools.
- Fee: 1.5%
- Payout Min: 10 CLO
Step 4: Mining
With everything to hand it is now time to get mining. This process is (as with all other mining processes) a case of feeding the relevant information including; wallet, pool address and algorithm to the mining software and then setting it loose. We can do this as follows:
- Go to your wallet and select "Receive" on the next screen under the QR code you will see your address. However, you can make it easier on yourself by clicking 'Share' and emailing it to yourself to save having to manually enter it.
- Now we need to setup the mining file:
- 1 - Right click and select edit on the .BAT file called start in the folder with the miner application file (it should open in notepad, if prompted for an application choose that)
- 2 - Then head back over to the CallistoPool page and scroll down to the "Callistopool (CLO) Stratum servers" section and copy the address: stratum+tcp://pool.callistopool.org:8008
- 3 - Paste the pool address after "-epool" before "-ewall" in the .BAT file
- 4 - Now we need to repeat the same with our wallet address
- 5 - At this point we're going to save the file as a different name "Start_CLO.bat" to avoid causing any confusion with starting up mining
All that is left for us to do is double click the .BAT file and cross our fingers. After a min or two you'll see the miner finish connecting and start to look like the items below.
Congratulations you're mining CLO!!
Now that you are mining you can check your stats (when you've submitted a share, it may take a few mins), on CallistoPool site by navigating there on your favorite browser (#BRAVE) scroll down to the "Your Stats & Payment History" section and paste you wallet address into the bar in the middle of the main page and hit enter. You'll see all your stats on the next page.
Hope you enjoyed the guide, good luck y'all!
Donations Welcome (CLO): 0x72cc05Bcc0fC886F176ae08b8244384e1E92c016