This is my 8th mining article for beginners and hobby miners, if you're interested at having a go at mining some other coins then check out the rest of my blog here.
Before I begin there are a couple of things to remember; Firstly unless you have an extensive mining setup you're unlikely to get rich (or break even) and Secondly I take no responsibility for any issues you run into if you try this at home (be smart download mining software at your own risk).
This is for informational and fun purposes only; I don't claim to be an expert. If you're reading this and you are more experienced and spot any issues, by all means point it out in the comments and I'll try make the necessary updates.
For this article we're going to look at how to mine AION tokens, you can also stake this token as well, though I'm not planning on covering that today. If you're interested in a brief summary of the Aion project then look no further, another other has provided a nice roundup here: https://www.publish0x.com/cryptohotspot/a-quick-overview-of-aion-project-xlqwyr. I'll not dig too much into this here except to give very brief summary overview:
Aion is the digital asset of The Open Application Network. Aion is used to secure and access The OAN. As a public infrastructure, a global community of individuals, software companies, and institutions secure and maintain the operations of The OAN. These critical functions are enabled and incentivized using Aion.
Step 1: The Wallet
In my previous articles I've usually tended to go direct to the source when it comes to the wallets, and have suggested downloading the whole blockchain. There is an officer desktop wallet for AION here: https://github.com/aionnetwork/Desktop-Wallet. Though in order to speed things up a bit I've found that it is possible to actually just use Trust Wallet (a multi-coin wallet app) to mine to. If you've not got Trust Wallet already and plan on getting it by all means you can use my referral link: https://share.trustwallet.com/1K18DM (those that do automatically get 100 Trust Wallet Tokens (TWT), so that is an added bonus). If you'd prefer not to use this then I wont be offended. Please also consider, if you prefer to use desktop wallets and if so get the one from the GitHub link above.
If you went with Trust Wallet and it is your first setup is reasonably straight forward:
- 1 - After downloading you will need to click 'create new wallet' (if you don't have one already)
- 2 - Now you'll be shown 12 words all with a number to the left them. Make a note of these somewhere safe.
- 3 - Immediately afterwards you'll be asked to enter these words again in order
- 4 - Finally you'll see this image pop-up which means your wallet is ready
- 5 - Next we need to add AION to the wallet, we can do this by clicking the plus icon
- 6 - The next screen will show us a bunch of tokens, first click on the search bar and type in "AION"
- 7 - Then we can toggle the slider to the green side so that AION will appear in our main wallet screen
Step 2: The Mining Software
There are are a few different mining tools out there for AION, which uses the Equihash(210,9) algorithm, that said I've found that one of them (lolminer) that will work for both AMD and Nvidia cards.
Go ahead and grab the zipfile and unzip it in a secure location.
If you don't see the application file above then it is likely your antivirus software has intercepted it and put it into quarantine. To avoid this go into your antivirus and add an exception for the folder where you intend to unzip the miner (and all subfolders).
Step 3: The Pools
Right so we have a wallet and we have a miner, next step is to find a pool where we can mine our AION. There are a lot of pools out there with a variety of fees/payout levels etc. I'm going to suggest just couple here that don't require any signup.
- AION Mine - https://aionmine.org/
- Fee = 1.0%
- Min Payout = 1.5 AION
- AION Pool- https://aionpool.tech/
- Fee = 2.0%
- Min Payout = 1 RVN
For this example I'll use AION mine before of the lower fees, but feel free to go with whichever works for you. There is another called WoolyPooly that seems straight forward to use as well.
Step 4: Mining
So we've prepared everything we need now on to the mining process:
- In the wallet lets go get our address. Simply click on AION in your Trust Wallet and then click on 'Receive' (to make sure you get this right I suggest hitting copy in the wallet and then pasting it into an email to yourself so you can just copy and paste it into the .BAT file later)
- Next navigate to the miner folder and lets create a BAT files for ourselves called "mine_aion.bat". The easiest way to do this by copy/pasting the "mine_beam.bat" and renaming it. This will save us from writing it from scratch.
- Next right-click the .BAT file and select 'edit' to open it in notepad you should see something like the image below. There are three bits of information in this file we need to update
- 1 - First we need to copy POOL address and PORT from the pool site (see second image below for what this looking like on the site). In this case the values will be: "POOL=stratum.aionmine.org" and "PORT=3333"
- 2 - Then we need to type in our address from the Trust Wallet as "WALLET=<your wallet address here>"
- 3 - Finally we need to change the algorithm from BEAM to "AION"
- Finally, save and close the .BAT file and we're ready to go. Now all you need to do is double click the .BAT file and a command window should open up that looks like this. Congratulations you're mining AION!!
Now that you are mining you can check your stats, on AION Mine site by navigating there on your favorite browser (#BRAVE) and just have your address to hand and you can paste it into the bar in the middle of the main page and click 'Load'. You'll see all your stats, including estimated payouts below.
If you want to check your profitability on other coins/algorithms then go ahead and look at either:
Hope you enjoyed the guide, good luck y'all!
Donations Welcome (AION):