At the moment the BAT you earn from the Brave Rewards on your mobile devices can not be withdrawn from your Mobile Wallet to your Uphold account.
Currently I have 67.5 BAT in my Brave Mobile Wallet which I can not withdraw.
As the Laptop Wallet is verified and linked to the Uphold account, what ever the Laptop Wallet balance is on 6th May, will be transferred to the linked Uphold account.
The subject of not being able to access the BAT in the Mobile Wallet, has come up a number of times on Publish0x, usually in the comments.
One of the solutions that had been put forward to access the BAT in your mobile wallet was to:
- set-up a verified publisher Twitter, Github, Reddit channel/account.
- use the BAT in your mobile wallet to tip yourself.
- note that a 5% fee is deducted from any tips.
This of course has lead to a vibrant discussion about whether this is kosher or not? Will the people at Brave take a dim view of some-one tipping themselves? Is it not going against what Brave are trying to achieve?
Once again I was searching for the authoritative answer to another question/puzzle - syncing Brave on your different devices. And I came across a Reddit thread about self-tipping (tipping yourself). One thread lead to another and I came across the following Reddit post by joddon from 11 months ago.
The question raised was answered by bat-chriscat BAT TEAM.
Just to clarify some things:
1. Rules against self-tipping only apply to our promotional BAT token grants. You are allowed to tip anyone (including yourself) with BAT that you earn via Brave Ads, or BAT that you self-fund with your own money.
2. We suspend accounts that are found to be in violation of our Terms of Service or Grant Tipping Guidelines, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/bhlo4k/faq_brave_rewards_ads_support/
3. If you search on community.brave.com or spend time on our Telegram, you will see the extent to which we enforce these rules in order to protect genuine users and creators. In other words, the way we deal with this kind of fraud is by enforcing our ToS and grant tipping guidelines, and suspending those who abuse publisher accounts solely to withdraw BAT grants—which are meant for tipping real content creators—to themselves, especially if they use coordinated or automated methods.
So the answer is:
Self tipping is allowed with the BAT that you earn through Brave Ads or you self-fund with your own money.
It was only the promotional BAT token grants that couldn't be used for self-tipping and must only be used to tip other content creators.
bat-chriscat BAT TEAM added
We give out BAT grants whenever we see fit (sometimes once a month, but not always). However, BAT grants are to be replaced by actual Brave Ads earnings as Brave Ads becomes available on all platforms.
I do remember receiving 20 BAT token grants every month or so last year. I wasn't exactly sure what I was meant to do with them at the time.
I did try to tip them to my wife's website but as we were unable to get her website verified, they just went into the ether. Brave were supposed to keep trying to send them to the publisher for 90 days before returning them to the promotional pool. Who knows what happened to them.
I hope you found this post interesting and informative. Once again it wasn't what I started out searching for but I enjoyed the hunt and sharing what I found with you.
Feel free to post comments, as they are much appreciated. Or a thumbs up if you enjoyed your read.
If you are not already using the Brave Browser on your laptop or mobile devices. You can download and install the Brave Browser by using my referral link
For more information on the Brave referral program
Update May 03
Verified Uphold Wallet on Android is Scheduled to Release Mid-May.
Thanks to @Rxxi
For providing the following link to a Reddit thread where MayArtichoke asked 4 days ago "When will we be able to withdraw from the Android Mobile App?"
The reply from CryptoJennie BAT Team was "verified Uphold wallet on Android is scheduled to release mid-May."
Note: No date set for iOS release was mentioned